How To Post Your Stories About Bubba: CLICK HERE

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Amazing hair, celebrity smile, and blue eyes

Donalyn (Lane) Shock
Class of 1987

I have tried and tried to put the words together to help express how I am feeling about the loss of Bubba—a friend, a classmate, a father, a family man, and so many, many more things to so many people.

Though I have not seen him since graduation, he is still a part of my memories and of course, a part of our special Page family. Like all of us, I believe, that the foundation we built in Page will last through the eternities. If I ever came across someone from Page who was in need, it would not matter whether we had been in recent contact or not. The bonds of friendship from Page have been forged forever. It is a very special gift we all are a part of.

As if it were yesterday, I can still picture the Bubba I knew in our youth--his amazing hair, a celebrity smile, and blazing blue eyes. Bubba and I were in a lot of classes together and I remember he was so much fun to be around. His humor helped the time pass quickly in some of our more boring classes. I am struggling to think of just one time that I ever saw him down, sad, or angry. He was always so happy.

One of the biggest attributes I remember about him, is how he treated women with so much respect. On occasion, someone would use foul language or tell an off-colored joke when I was around. If Bubba heard it, he would say, “Hey, don’t talk like that in front of Dona. She doesn’t do that.” I never told him, but I was so grateful to him for stepping in and I admired him for having the courage to do that for me. Although, for Bubba, it wasn’t courage, it was just who he was. Bubba was a friend to everyone.

I remember a time when a guy asked me to go out with him and I told him I wouldn’t date until I was sixteen. The boy’s reaction was to call me a “Bitch.” The next day, Bubba told him to apologize or he would beat him up. I, of course, received an apology.

Bubba, you are going to be greatly missed. It hurts me that you are gone, I can’t imagine what it must feel like to the people you were close too. I know you will be watching over your sister and your children. May your legacy live forever and your memory be honored.

1 comment:

BE said...

thank you. i read the stories and i cry. Im so grateful so many people saw the same person I did.. What a wonderful man.

thank you for your memory.